Winter Oil Changes at Graff Chevrolet in Durand, MI
As you may know, oil changes are necessary to extend the life of your engine and to keep your engine running its best. The purpose of oil is to lubricate the moving pieces of your engine and reduce heat and friction on those parts so that they do not wear out or warp. Oil changes are recommended every 3,000-5,000 miles depending on the age of your vehicle and the type of oil it uses. Winter oil changes are especially important because the cold temperatures will naturally thicken your oil, and if your engine oil is already thick from use and debris it can develop into a consistency too thick to properly lubricate the engine. Bring your vehicle in for a winter oil change at Graff Chevrolet Service Center in Durand, MI, where a professional technician can check your oil levels and keep your vehicle in tip-top shape.
Signs Your Vehicle Needs an Oil Change this Winter
Since oil is something that helps your car run correctly, it’s important to keep up with scheduled oil changes. A technician will be able to determine the right type of oil to use, so that starting your car in cold temperatures will work just as well as warmer weather. Because the point of oil is to lubricate and remove heat from the engine, skipping oil changes can cause serious, expensive, and sometimes irreversible damage. If you’re not sure when your last oil change was, there are some signs you can look for.
Signs your vehicle needs an oil change for winter include:
- Your oil warning light comes on – this normally means that you have low oil pressure in your engine and that the oil pump isn’t circulating enough oil to keep everything lubricated. If this warning light comes on, we recommend pulling off the road and turning the vehicle off as further driving could result in major engine damage. Give the vehicle some time to cool down and then bring it in for service as soon as you can.
- Your oil is black and gritty – Oil is supposed to have a honey brown color. If your oil has turned black and gritty this indicates that is has particles and contaminants in it and will begin to gunk and clog up your engine.
- Your oil level is low on the dipstick – your dipstick measures the volume of oil in your engine. So if the oil mark level is low (close to the end of the dipstick) then your oil volume is low and in need of replenishing.
- Your engine is louder than usual – This is another sign that is not to be ignored. If your engine sounds louder than usual, this likely means that you have very little oil left in your engine to lubricate it and all of the moving parts are now rubbing and grinding against each other.
- You can’t remember your last oil change – Many auto service shops will put a sticker on the inside of your windshield that indicates the suggested date and mileage of your next oil change. If you don’t have one of those and aren’t sure then it’s probably time to come in for an oil change just to be safe. It’s better to get a quick, affordable oil change than have to suffer the cost of major engine damage.
Schedule Your Winter Oil Change Online at Graff Chevrolet Durand
You can schedule your winter oil change service at Graff Chevrolet Durand online if your vehicle shows any of the signs listed above. Our Certified Service Center is equipped with mechanics to check your oil, change your oil, and suggest your next oil change date. Call us at 866-529-1655 or visit us at 9009 E. Lansing Rd., Durand, MI 48429! We are happy to serve our hometown of Durand and the surrounding communities of Owosso, Flint, Genesee Charter Township, Swartz Creek, and Corunna.